Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: How to read port scans

From: spaceork () DHP COM (spaceork)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:24:57 -0400

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Phil Curran wrote:

I am new to auditing/reading port scanning documents.  Are there any
documents/books/urls that would be able to help me in understanding what I am
reading/trying to analyze?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

The book "Network Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's Handbook" by Stephen
Northcutt is a good start in understanding the various network probes you
are bound to encoutner. And it is *fairly* recent too.

        -spaceork

"Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of
 producing random digits is, of course, in a
 state of sin."
 -John Von Neumann
spaceork () dhp com
http://www.dhp.com/~spaceork