Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Biggest Incident This Week: Missing Hard Drives at Los Alamos

From: ejovi () EJOVI NET (Ejovi Nuwere)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:17:11 -0400

The real question is, if disk drives containing classified information were
stolen, why on earth would that information not be classified as well?
Could there be a political reason behind the release of this information?

I have to agree here, I thought I was the only thinking about this.
Espionage happens all the time. I'm sure plenty of things have turned up
missing in the past. So I considered the following:

1) How is telling the public going to help?

If the data went missing inside a private government facility, how can the
public help? After all it's not a missing child.

2) They aren't worried, but they hold a press conference?

3) Like you mentioned, if this disk contains classified information, why
are they telling us whats on it?