Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Simultaneous Attacks

From: bejtlich () ALTAVISTA NET (Richard Bejtlich)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:14:28 -0000

Hello Harlan,

I agree with your desire to protect your machine with
BlackICE, but you may wish to reconsider your defensive
posture.  I could spend most of my free time reporting
reconnaissance or intrusion attempts on my cable segment,
but it's not worth it.  That's my day job, and even there
we must concentrate on high-end events.

Unfortunately, I believe over-zealous probe reporting may
be occupying far too much ISP "abuse desk" and (generic)
CERT  time.  Rather than concentrating on serious events,
ISPs have to sort through messages describing decoy probes
from non-existent hosts, etc.

I believe intrusion detection carries some responsibility
to use the information to the advantage of the information
assurance community.  It would be quite easy to stress the
community to the breaking point if thousands or hundreds of
thousands of well-meaning but misinformed users bombarded
ISPs and CERTs with dead-end reports.

Richard Bejtlich

--

Today I have detected three simultaneous intrusions into my
computer.

I am using the BlackICE program.

Record(s) from Attack-list.csv follow, date and time are
GMT:
59, 2000-07-06 23:59:50, 2003103, NetBus port probe,
64.232.4.242, ,
24.161.11.47, , port=12345&name=NetBus, 6, A
59, 2000-07-06 23:59:50, 2003103, NetBus port probe,
23.23.23.23, ,
24.161.11.47, , port=12345&name=NetBus, 6, A
59, 2000-07-06 23:59:50, 2003103, NetBus port probe,
24.24.24.24,
tmp1-3218.twcny.rr.com, 24.161.11.47, ,
port=12345&name=NetBus, 6, A

It looks like an attempt to gain access by crashing my
computer.  The IP
23.23.23.23 is apparently unassigned in the European area.
It would be
interesting to know how widespread this attack was and who
was really
behind it.

Harlan S. Barney, Jr.