Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: suspected virus

From: "Engle [SecEng], Michael T" <mengle () LEHMAN COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:01:47 -0400

James,

Try this:

On an infected machine, set all unnecessary services to start up manually
(if it's NT).  Also take everything out of the startup folders (for ALL
USERS and also the current user)
and out of the
LMachine/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
LMachine/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/RunOnce
CUser/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
registry keys.

Then, reboot.  See if the problem still exists.  If it does, it'll be easy
to catch. Now that you don't have much crap running, use REGMON.EXE from
www.sysinternals.com to see what is modifying the HKLM\Software\Microsoft
registry keys.  I'm not sure where Outlook Express stores its "blocked"
list.  If it's in a file somewhere, then you're going to have to use
FILEMON.EXE instead.  You can probably search technet to get this
information, or just use regmon/filemon to watch outlook and see what it's
doing when you add someone to the blocked list.

If the "virus" is active when you have regmon/filemon active, the tools
should point you towards an executable name.  If the problem doesn't exist,
then the problem was in one of the registry entries or shortcut keys you
removed - check them out to see what they are.

Mike
..Michael Engle
...Lehman Brothers
....Security Engineering