Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DDoSed

From: Fredrik Ostergren <fredrik.ostergren () FREEBOX COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:46:14 -0000

Hi all -

I'm a security consultant with Fry's Electronics, a major
electronics chain on
the west coast.  The DNS entry for our web site,
www.frys.com, went up a few
weeks ago, and we had our first attack tonight.  At about
4:00 PM, a flurry of
what looks like ACK packets (still analyzing the sniffer
logs) started hitting
our web server.  I didn't realize that we had been
attacked, due to a
misconfiguration on the emergency notification system on
our network flight
recorder, until about 8:00 PM, at which time I was
investigating reports of an
internal host not being able to get outside to the
Internet.  I was pretty
shocked when I saw our core switch and CSU/DSU with solid
tx/rx lights.

Our upstream provider, AGIS/Telia, said that they were
experiencing widespread
failure on most of their routers within their AS, and I'm
still not sure
whether that problem is related to our attack.

The source addresses didn't appear to be spoofed, and were
all within the same
4 subnets in the 64.0.0.0 network.  It appears that the
attacker scanned for
vunerable hosts within those four subnets, and then used
those as a launch
platform for the attack against us.  The strange thing is
that the packets
were all the same, and the destination port sequence was
the same (five
sequential ports starting from a random base port, then
again from another
random base port) be coordinated, but the source hosts were
different
platforms (NT and UNIX).  There was also some weak evidence
that the attacks
were coordinated.  I've already contacted all the other
ISPs and had them call
the same FBI office so we're all dealing with the same FBI
agent.

Does anyone know of a cross-platform DDoS tool that would
give results like
this?

Things I learned:

The FBI regional field office in our area may not be the
office that the
Computer Crimes unit is in.  Get their number for your
emergency procedures
binder.

Make sure that you have at least one host on each of your
networks that is
accessible without the LAN interface up, such as with a
modem.  If you can,
wire it up so that it can page you through that modem.
That's the mistake I
made when configuring our network management workstation.

Ethereal can import a 150MB sniffer dump a lot faster on a
Ultra/5 than on a
PIII/600.  I'm buying a dedicated traffic analysis
workstation.

It will probably help a lot if your provider has a DDoS
policy and will
automatically filter out suspicious levels of traffic from
a single host (or a
group of hosts).  It still doesn't protect you against
spoofed addresses, but
it would have saved us in this case.

I think that posting to the Incidents mailing list and your
local sysadmin
user group's mailing list should be a part of your post
break-in procedures.
I'm sure other people are getting nailed by the same people
that hit us, and I
don't see any trace of it on Incidents, LISA, or any other
mailing lists I
subscribe to.  I really wish I knew other people made an
effort to make these
things known so I don't have to think we're the only people
getting hit.

 - Jason

PS: I'm going to milk all the educational value out of this
attack as I can;
I'm owed that much for dealing with this mess.  Look
forward to my analysis of
the sniffer logs.  Our web site isn't even up yet, and we
get attacked :P
They told me when I took this assignment that people have
issues with Fry's
return policy, but I had no idea how hard they took it :)

Well, I will only comment the spoof'd part because I didn't
read the FBI part and the rest. Common DDos tools such as
stacheldraht always spoof their source ips but IF the
client is running on a solaris/sun machine, it will only
spoof the class c ips. For example, if the stacheldraht-
client is running on a solaris on 64.1.1.X it will only
spoof source ips like; 64.1.1.1-255. On linux is spoofs all
ips, then you could get like; 1.1.1.1 or 32.2.2.2.

/ Fredrik.