Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: source port 321

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:50:13 -0800

The most likely cause for people probing a non-existent machine is because
it exists in a DNS zone somewhere. (I've always put non-existent machines in
my zones as a sort of honeypot for this purpose).

This machine may have been from a zone transfer, or it could be setup as the
mx (mail transfer) record for a zone.

321 looks suspiciously like a "spur-of-the-moment" port number like 123,
12345, 44444, 4321, etc.

My advice is to setup a honeypot system. Grab an old 486 and the newest
RedHat distro, install EVERYTHING, then go into /etc/inetd.conf and enable
all the services. This will give a system that will respond like a christmas
tree to port scans, and which will encourage further exloitation to figure
out what the hacker is up to (but the newest version should be relatively
immune to script kiddies). Running TCPDUMP on the system or some other
sniffer would keep a nice record of what people are doing. Running an
intrusion detection system would also be nice.

Robert Graham

Disclaimer: I have no clue either; the above is just my musings on the
topic.

Disclaimer: My answer is always "grab" a sniffer or "use an IDS" :-)
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/sniffing-faq.html
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/network-intrusion-detection.html