Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Korea (was RE: ?)

From: barakirs () NETVISION NET IL (R a v e N)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:32:37 +0200

A telnet backdoor on such a (relatively) low port that automatically
drops you to a rootshell?
And the admin didn't even notice it?
And the crackers weren't smart enough to realize that another cracker
could easily find this if it was on such a low port and didn't even
require a password set by the cracker?

This just proves how insecure educational institutes in eastern Asia
are. They get cracked by such a bunch of amateur crackers.
In fact, I've seen a text once that was called "how to get a shell
account in 24 hours". It said that you should use Altavista to find
sites hosted on Japanese servers and then use the PHF bug against them.
Sooner or later, you will find a server that is vulnerable to this
attack.
PHF!
(by the way, a person I know, which is a complete hacker wannabe and
wants to impress his friends, has tried this technique and found five
vulnerable servers in a couple of minutes. Luckily, he didn't know how
to crack the password file, and if he did, he still wouldn't know what
to do with it, nor any commands he could issue once he's inside, nor how
to clean the logs of anything that could be used to trace him in case
this was a "honeypot" and not just some really stupid admin or a network
with some extremely outdated software).

"Robert G. Ferrell" wrote:

I have LOTS of portscanning (mostly to port 111) from a number of hosts
in Korea.

As we've observed before, Korea, especially educational institutions in Korea,
is virtually wide open to crackers.

I portscanned them back and find out that at least a couple of
them had port 2222 open. A telnet to that port droped me in a rootshell
without being asked for any password....

Well, while you're there, why don't you poke around and see if you can find out
who ownz that box?  Could be useful to know that...

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
Internet Technologist
National Business Center, US DoI
Robert_G_Ferrell () nbc gov

--
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port
And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort

http://blacksun.box.sk