Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: port 119

From: barakirs () NETVISION NET IL (R a v e N)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:52:38 +0200

Port 119 is NNTP - Network News Transfer Protocol (for newsgroups. It
works with TCP and UDP).
Do you have an NNTP server on this host? 'Cause it could be someone
exploiting it.
It could also be someone trying to connect to a news server on your host
(thinking that there is one there) which simply does not exist, or it
could be some sort of an attack.

--
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port
And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort

http://blacksun.box.sk

Dariusz Zmokly wrote:

hi !

I wonder what does it mean when someone wants to connect to my machine on
port 119. Is there any software that could do it or is it a scan ?

Jan  2 01:27:41 rh-master portsentry[444]: attackalert: SYN/Normal scan from host: jammed.com/165.227.120.19 to TCP
port: 119
Jan  3 09:22:52 rh-master portsentry[444]: attackalert: SYN/Normal scan from host:
twhou-220-35.ev1.net/207.218.220.35 to TCP port: 119

best regards :)
Dariusz Zmokly