Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Log tools?

From: Stan.Woods () US GASES BOC COM (Woods,Stan)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:57:15 -0500

Try SecureView from VeriSign/SecureIT:

http://www.secureit.com/products/reporting/secureview.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Pauline van Winsen [mailto:Pauline.van.Winsen () ESERV COM AU]
Sent: None
To: INCIDENTS () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: Re: Log tools?

hiya,

Can anyone recommend me a good logging tool for *nix to monitor logs?
I've
flipped through some tools at securityfocus, but haven't really found
anything I'm thrilled with.. is there a common one that most people are
using?

i use logsurfer. it uses regex, is taught to ignore messages,
rather than look out for particular messages, handles contexts -
"i've seen XYZ message, i want to whinge, but i'll wait & see
if ABC message arrives before i annoy you via SMS/pager/email/whatever".
it looks at any text file, handles log files.

& it's free - src available from:
http://www.cert.dfn.de/eng/logsurf/

hope this helps,
pauline
This footnote confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for
the presence of known computer viruses by the Star Labs virus
scanning service. However, it is still recommended that you use
local virus scanning software to monitor for the presence of viruses.