Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: :8 -> :0

From: garion () RIVA 2Y NET (Belgarion of Riva)
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 02:15:14 +0000

They are ICMP echo-request packets being intercepted by your firewall..
Basically, the source IP is trying to ping you.

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:38:43 -0600
From: "Wittenberg, Daniel" <Daniel-Wittenberg () UIOWA EDU>
To: INCIDENTS () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: :8 -> :0

I've started seeing more and more ICMP packets to my home firewall coming from
different addresses, source port 8, destination port 0.

Any ideas what they could be looking for?

Dan

Garion turns, shimmers into a wolf, and lopes away...

    'Oh, Garion,' she laughed, 'I love you.'
    'Yes,' he said. 'I know.'
    She gave him an exasperated look and then punched him in the shoulder with
her little fist.
    'Ouch.'
    'Did I hurt you?' she asked, taking his arm in sudden concern.
    'I think I can stand it, dear,' he replied. 'We noble heroes can bear all
sorts of things.'