Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Has anyone else seen/encountered the "VBS.Network" virus? I just did.

From: qui3tri0t () NETZERO NET (qui3tri0t)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:29:39 -0600

Well, what I'm assuming this VBS Network virus is, is something I've
encountered while on IRC.
Really its nothing more than a VBScript worm. The worm copies itself to a
few different directories
on your computer. If its a smart worm, it will find the different IRC
Clients you use, then add some
lines to your remote section ( I know thats what it is called in mIRC ) with
the line
on 1:JOIN:#: { .dcc send $nick <location of the worm> }
It will also add itself to windows registry, with a few backups of the worm,
so if you delete one
from your computer, there is still the chance you'll have the others.
So when your computer restarts, the whole process starts over again. As for
the file "C:\Windows\TEMP\tmpB214.TMP" I myself have never seen that, but
then again, there are many
people making these "worms" and they have different ways of coding the worm.
I've included a few of these VBS Worms that I've collected so you can see
what I'm talking about.