Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: just how much sunrpc scanning is normal?

From: cbrenton () SOVER NET (Chris Brenton)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 06:57:10 -0500

Jon Burdge wrote:

I've been seeing a lot of scanning on my machines for open sunrpc ports.  I
always try to notify the admin of the machine that scanned me, as it's been
my experience it's usually just a staging point for some script kitty.  The
reason I'm writing this is I'd like to know..is this amount of activity
normal?

Based on the number of "I just received an RPC scan, now they are trying
to break in" reports I've seen over at GIAC, no amount of RPC scanning
should be considered "normal". I can't remember seeing a single report
that was "never mind, the RPC scan was a false alarm".

Is it just I never realized how common this scanning was?  Is this a feature
of some automated scanning/exploitation script out there?

Absolutely. Most DDoS tools appear to be automated. This is why they are
able to spread so quickly and infect so many hosts. Seems RPC and named
are the two most popular points of attempted entry.

HTH,
Chris

--
cbrenton () sover net

* Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782120822/geekspeaknet
* Mastering Network Security
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782123430/geekspeaknet