Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: smurf scanning

From: rob () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:34:06 -0800

My home computer is on a DSL line that gets a lot of smurf/fraggle scans,
and appears to be used occasionally as an amplifier. I see constant incoming
packets to x.x.x.0 and x.x.x.255 using UDP port 7/echo and ICMP type 8/ping.
Most of these are simple scans, but once someone was actively
smurfing/fraggling.

My guess is that my ISP is listed as a smurf amplifier, and is checked every
so often, and occasionally used. I really should complain to my ISP, but I
just have too much fun watching hackers at play.

Robert Graham