Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: twinkie

From: bugtraq () NETWORKICE COM (Robert Graham)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:29:11 -0800

See:
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#port113
This is normal behavior from SMTP, POP, and IMAP servers so that they can
log the UNIX user name on the TCP connection. If you block it with a
firewall, your e-mail connections might timeout.

In any case, the POP3 AUTH command is used by the client in order to
negotiate an authentication scheme with the server. When a Microsoft client
(like Outlook) tries to negotiate Windows-specific authentication (based
upon LM), it uses some provocative word. I don't quite remember what that
word is; might be "twinkie".

Robert Graham