Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH2 Exploit?

From: Ken.Williams () EY COM (Ken Williams)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:57:13 -0600

there could very well be several unpublished ssh2 exploits, but you need to consider other "non ssh-related" security
concerns too, like ...

- attacker had physical access to the box
- attacker brute-forced legitimate login/passwd
- attacker shoulder-surfed a passwd
- attacker social-engineered a passwd
- somebody (new admin?) accidentally/intentionally started a daemon/daemons that opened up another point of entry for
attacker
- use your imagination for lots of additional scenarios

to answer your question about "most secure version of ssh" though, check out OpenSSH 1.2.2, by the OpenBSD gang
<http://www.openssh.com/>.

- kw

jonz () NETRAIL NET on 02/10/2000 06:32:17 PM

Please respond to jonz () NETRAIL NET@Internet