Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: probe backs? was Re: [INCIDENTS] Korea

From: rquinn () SEC SPRINT NET (Rob Quinn)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:15:27 -0500

[...] i often do a few telnets to odd ports (ie banner grabbing) and a quick
nmap scan.

 I do passive scans against sites hitting me or my customers.

i doubt i'm the only one who does this (i know i'm not), and i often tell
people how to do it.

 I wouldn't do anything that would interfere with the victim's ability to
analyze the breakin. It's pretty tough when you know the middle man site
couldn't care less about you or their own security problems.

is this frowned upon by the larger community?

 Unfortunately there seem to be no rules here except "if you can get away with
it it must be okay" and "we really have no idea what we can get away with". I
think if someone decided to jump on us, conduct that's "accepted by the larger
community" wouldn't mean much.

so they can dismiss it as administrative probes when they find it in their
logs.

 "administrative probes". I like that.

--
| Opinions are _mine_, facts                                     Rob Quinn |
| are facts.                                                 (703)689-6582 |