Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Death Penalty & @Home

From: fruitbat () NETSPACE ORG (Eric the Fruitbat)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:47:08 -0500

Here's my question: what if you set up a firewall rule to send a RST to
any port 80 (or 119) connection attempts made by their scanning
machine(s)? This would simulate a closed port. Are there any methods
available to combat this kind of trickiness?

This would work fine if the party in question (@Home) weren't the owner of
the basic routing hardware.  As it is, if they really want to know what
kind of services you operate they can just scan the headers of all the
packets going in and out of your site directly, as can any other ISP.  Any
firewall rules you might put up are totally irrelevant.

To my knowledge, @Home has never gone after subscribers for running small-
time web services.  They're mostly just trying to make sure nobody is
running a mini-ISP on their network.  In my opinion, portscans are a lot
less intrusive than other ways they might go about it.

--
   "There is no education that is not political.  An apolitical education is
    also political because it is purposely isolating."