Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FW: Postmaster notify: User unknown

From: Mike Lewinski <mike () ROCKYNET COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:25:19 -0700

This mail appeared in my Inbox last Friday morning.  I present this
unto
you all for your evaluation and recommendation.  I believe an
intruder
has accessed my email server for their own purposes.  Am I correct?

Looks like some bottom-feeding spammer tried to use your mail
system as a third-party relay.  Worse, it looks like the attempt was
successful.  You're probably going to get some pretty rabid hate mail
from
the victims of the spam run soon, if not inclusion in the ORBS
database.

Equally possible, the bottom-feeder is forging his return address and
relaying elsewhere. I didn't see anything in the original post that
necessarily indicated it was an open relay problem on the poster's end.

However, a manual check shows that it is indeed open and the likely
explanation...

220 nsw.gbmlogic.com.au ESMTP Techlink IAS Sendmail; Wed, 20 Dec 2000
04:20:03 +1100
MAIL FROM: <>
250 <>... Sender ok
RCPT TO: <>
250 <me () mydomain com>... Recipient ok

Properly configured, the last line would be:
550 <me () mydomain com>... Relaying denied

Instructions for fixing this problem can be found here:
http://www.mail-abuse.org/tsi/

Mike