Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: HELO/EHLP attack?.

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:30:07 -0400

Jul 31 19:49:46 mail sendmail[5153]: NOQUEUE: [64.41.151.78]: HELO/EHLO
attack?

This is a remote attack, I guess? (but I'd like to be sure, please).
From the Sendmail 8.8.5 release notes (Oct 97):

        Slow down when too many "light weight" commands have been issued;
                this helps prevent a class of denial-of-service attacks.
                The current values and defaults are:
                    MAXNOOPCOMMANDS     20      NOOP, VERB, ONEX, XUSR
                    MAXHELOCOMMANDS     3       HELO, EHLO
                    MAXVRFYCOMMANDS     6       VRFY, EXPN
                    MAXETRNCOMMANDS     8       ETRN
                These will probably be configurable in a future release.

Most likely, some body trying to forge mail by telnet-ing to port
25 and having trouble getting the HELO right.  The original attack
was that you could drive up the load average at the remote end
by doing a 'yes EHLO | netcat victim 25'.

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech