Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Annoy Those Sub7 Scanners.

From: Bill Royds <Bill_Royds () PCH GC CA>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:53:43 -0400

In a seminar by our local law enforcement officers, it was explained that logs
are valid evidence if  they follow some rules:

1>/ Kept in the normal course of business
2>/ Attested to veracity by at least two qualified people (2 signatures on
printouts, 2 signatures on CD).
3>/ Have been shown to be free from opportunity for tampering (burned into CD's
for example).

  They are as valid as paper evidence if they have been kept with "due care".
But  you must document you logging procedures and ensure that there are backups
and non volatile copies in normal course of business.

Bryan Andersen <bryan () visi com> on 08/31/2000 03:52:48 AM

Please respond to bryan () visi com