Security Incidents mailing list archives

Wierd Logs

From: Rick Harris <rharris () DARKFLAME NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:00:10 -0500

Incidents,

  I have seem some very strange things in my PIX logs and I wanted to see if
someone could shed some light on this. I have repeatedly tested and cannot
reproduce this attack.

The logs state

305005: No translation group found for tcp src inside:246.89.253.41/27849
dst outside:200.254.60.200/8755
305005: No translation group found for tcp src inside:62.195.36.140/27082
dst outside:200.254.60.200/8763
305005: No translation group found for tcp src inside:33.188.240.89/57477
dst outside:200.254.60.200/8770
305005: No translation group found for tcp src inside:201.243.53.18/25288
dst outside:200.254.60.200/8778

This is a small piece of the logs, and this attack went on for several
hours, The PIX is configured for NAT and to only allow outbound connections.
and NONE of these addreses are in our address space at all.

I have tracked the origin of the attack back and dealt with it there , but I
am still unsure of what/how allowed them to bring down the network behind
the PIX.  I have tried Smurf/Tribe floods , spoofing src addreses, anything
I could things of , but I could not duplicate this. (of course that could
also be the result of dealing with it for 26 hours :) I could not get the
dst address to be wrong. Anyway can someone shed some light here...

Thanks !
Off to sleep

Rick