Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SMB / NetBIOS Connections

From: Bryan Andersen <bryan () visi com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:33:18 -0500

"Jonathan R. Dundas" wrote:

We see constant connection attempts to port 137 to existing hosts on our
subnet, even though the attempts are denied.  Packets claiming to be from
Private/reserved source addys are a significant portion of them, maybe an
average of 1 host a day tries to connect from a private addy.  Weird.  I've
been reading this list for about two months ago on and off, has this topic
been discussed before?

Yes port 137 activity has been discussed here before.

Also look at CERT's current activity page:
    http://www.cert.org/current/current_activity.html
It links to a couple of articles on netbios activities.

As others have mentioned there are two main types of port 137
activities.  One is the poorly setup PC doing a net bios name
lookup as it's trying to download a web page.  The other is a
scan of machines looking for open shares.  On my micro subnet
I see about even activity between the two.  Almost all the port
137 accesses that I get that only hit my web server's IP# are
in conjunction to web page downloads from the same machine.
All the scans that hit all of my IP addresses have no related
web server activity.

As for what I do with them.  I ignore the ones that come in
with web page downloads.  All the rest I notify the
ISP/Company/etc where they come from with a relatively stock
letter warning of netbios worms and pointing them to CERT.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan () visi com   |   http://softail.visi.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |