Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Break-in attempt from 203.197.38.247

From: Jason Storm <sec () ORGONE NEGATION NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:23:15 -0700

if youre running a kernel that allows loadable modules, you cant trust
anything.

even if youre not, if you havent tripwired your kernel, you cant be sure
the attacker didnt replace it with one that supports modules.

modular rootkits are nothing exotic.  anyone who has examined many
compromised linux boxes and not bumped into them probably is not looking
correctly.

-jason storm
 negation industries