Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Scans... (was Re: 3 Solaris reboot in 3 days)

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 02:36:26 +0200

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 02:43:20 +0300 (IDT), mixter () 2xs co il wrote:

Also, a non-intrusive querying for bind versions,
to get a better perspective of security by gathering
demographic data of the used bind versions (with bind being arguably the most
often exploited service recently).

Precisely. If you see it from the "scannee" point of view, how does he
distinguish that from a "recon" operation by a script kiddie preparing
a bind exploit ?

After our scan of some 16.581.375 addresses
for just this information, all that we have received were 3 requests to explain
our activity, which we promptly did.

Well, kind of... :-)  Anyway, will the data you gathered from the
survey made public ? What you found should be statistically
interesting.

I noticed you mention BlackICE on Windows 98. From my experience, it is a very
sensitive type of IDS, that can create extensive log entries, for example
"DNS port probe" for just receiving an udp/53 packet, and "BIND version
request" additionally to the first notice. That might be why you originally
considered this incident more than a simple version query.

In fact, the cisco log was what grabbed my attention first, then
BlackIce, then two other logging / protection mechanisms we have in
place on our network and which I shall not describe publically <G>.
Anyway I consider that a version query on our DNS software is an
agressive behaviour - that's why I brought the matter here btw - I'd
like to know how other people feel about that. Is there really any
legitimate reason to scan a full class C for BIND versions ? You were
scanning for vulnerabilities, with a white hat - but how can the target
of a scan tell the colour of the scanner's hat ?  Noticing that the
attack came from a company raised my level of alarm btw - I suspected
you had more resources than the average script kiddie and therefore
represented a greater danger. Heuristics, you have no choice but to
apply some in life... Another point : I have no choice but to loose
_some_ time evaluating your scan when I notice it. As a busy person I'd
rather avoid that. OTOH, surveys are useful - no doubt about that.

As far as BlackIce is concerned, yes I tend to agree with you, it is
way too sensitive for the casual user, even in cautious mode - that is
why we only use it on one WS, as a kind of watchdog. But it still
remains a great, generally reliable, useful tool and the support was
top notch when I contacted them about early versions.

Kind Regards
Pierre

---
Pierre Vandevenne - DataRescue sa/nv