Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Follow-up on the Botnet incident.

From: "PARKIN, MICHAEL M (PBI)" <mparkin () PBI NET>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:32:14 -0500

Pierre,

Thanks for the input, but, perhaps unfortunately, we aren't the infected
host.  As mentioned in both posts, we were experiencing hundreds of
connections to our IRC network -from- infected hosts.  I will guess that the
infected parties haven't run any virus checkers on their systems, or they
would have (possibly) been able to isolate the Trojan.  If we can find a
'safe' and non-intrusive way to alert the folks who've been infected, we
certainly will.

If we can isolate the Trojan on these infected systems, I'll be sure to make
the program available for people if they want to analyze it.  Same for the
encryption.  I have had several offers for assistance in decrypting the
traffic, and I'll be sending the appropriate logs to those people as soon as
I can.

Thanks,
Mike

Ps.  If this thread is getting off-topic for the list, let me know and I'll
drop it.