Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Rooted through in.identd on Red Hat 6.0

From: del () BABEL COM AU (Del Elson)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:18:40 -0000

J.J. Horner wrote:

Hi,

A client was hacked last week by what looked like a
buffer
overflow through in.identd.  This was on a Red Hat 6.0
box.

RH don't have any current security notices or fixes for
in.identd on their servers, and I haven't seen other
boxes hacked through in.identd recently.

Well, he could have gotten in somewhere else and just put
the backdoor in
identd.  I've had people get in on nameservers with old
versions of BIND,
then backdoor another service.

Jon

This is the most likely suggestion I've seen to date.
I didn't have access to the box before the hack (otherwise
I would have darn well patched it) but it's conceivable
that it got rooted ages ago and the most recent attack
was through a previous backdoor put into inetd or
identd.

It wasn't running BIND (note to all of the dozen or so
people who e-mailed me dead certain that it was ... it's
rather hard to use the ADMROCKS worm to get in to BIND
on a machine that it's not even installed on, let alone
running on ... I deleted a pile of mail on this without
replying, not my usual style, but then there has been a
flood of junk on this topic).  It wasn't running FTPD,
it wasn't running anything else with open ports.

I don't know what else to suspect.  It's conceivable that
a trojan inetd/identd had been on the system for some time.

Del