Security Incidents mailing list archives

Port 137 scans on the rise

From: bryan () VISI COM (Bryan Andersen)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:54:55 -0500

Hi,

Bad news, I'm beginning to see 1 to 2 port 137 scans a day.  This
means alot more systems are being infected.  If at all possible it
would be a wise percaution to just block both incomming and
outgoing data to ports 137, 138, and 139 in both TCP and UDP at
your firewall.

CERT has a new writeup on the 911 culprit:

http://www.cert.org/current/current_activity.html#shares

A writeup on the network VBS_NETLOG worm can be found at:

http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=VBS_NETLOG.WORM

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan () visi com   |   http://softail.visi.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |