Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: One IP Address

From: "Mark J. Hufe" <mark.j.hufe () wilmcoll edu>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 09:04:55 -0400

David,

I have a similar question.

I configured my network to match, as best I could, the network diagram in the Honeywall documentation which shows the honeypots on private IP addresses. I have Comcast RIP service, which gives me five static IP's. I'm only using two for the Honeynet. One goes to the Honeywall, running roo with a walleye interface. The other first goes to an old D-Link wireless router, but ignoring the wireless part. The D-Link is used to provide port forwarding. So, I can see my honeypots from the outside through the D-Link. The static IP address is assigned to the WAN side of the router. (Comcast provided a newtered SMC modem which doesn't support port forwarding.)

But, that works for just one server. I can only run one http server, one ftp server, ...

So, I don't really see how the honeypots in the honeywall diagram on a LAN are supposed to be accessed from the Internet unless through a NAT, like I have in my set-up.

I'm just a newbie at this. I'm open to suggestions.

- Mark

davidhawksuk () yahoo co uk wrote:
Hi There,

Setting up my first virtual honeynet (using VMware and roo) has been painfully slow, mainly because of my ISP….

Here is the problem.

My internet connection has a static IP and I had placed an order for a block of IP address which I was to assign to
each of the machines in the net. I have now found (after a month of chasing) that they cannot assign them because of
the package I’m on. (Budgetary and time constraints mean I can’t change ISP right now).

My questions is if I have the following setup

Internet -> router -> DMZ ->Honeywall -> Honeypots

               Production network

Are my honeypots going to be seen from outside? and am I likely to receive any traffic?

If they will not what is the best configuration using the one IP address I have?

Thanks in advance

/ David