Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Unusually problems with honeywall

From: Stephan Holtwisch <shfh () immutec com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 05:16:26 +0200

Hi Ivica,

i am pretty much in the same situation as you, i am writing a thesis
about Honeynets as well and also use Roo as a starting point.

The p0f Startup script is broken in that it reads 2 variables instead of
one, however the Process starts neverless. So that is more a cosmetic
issue.

I cant really help you with that other issue, havent encountered it yet,
but what strikes me about Roo is its total lack of actually usable
documentation. I mean the User Manual is all nice and dandy but it
doesnt help at all when you start designing a Honeynet with Roo.
I am not sure what the State of Version 2 of Roo is, but that is
definately a point that needs to be worked on. As it is now, you have to
dig into the Scripts yourself to see what the Variables are used for,
just to find out that the Description in honeywall.conf is misleading at
best and in some cases is plain wrong.

For example:

# This Honeywall's public IP address(es)
# [Valid argument: IP address | space delimited IP addresses]
HwHPOT_PUBLIC_IP=10.0.0.20

Is very very bad in multiple meanings. First of all its not the
"Honeywall's public IP address", since the Honeywall doesnt have any
IP-Adresses, its a Bridge, and the Management Interface is treated
seperately. If you are clever you may get the actually Meaning from the
Variable name "HPOT", saying its an IP-Address of a Honeypot. But even
then you dont know why it is declared at all (i assumed every traffic is
monitored at the internal interface and after all i defined
HwLAN_IP_RANGE too). If you eventually dig into the scipts you may find
that it has something to do with the dynamic Setup of the Firewall
Rules. The honeywall.conf Scipts also makes the Reader believe you could
setup the external Bridge Interface a Management Interface as well,
which theoretically is possible but not so in Roo.

I am very well aware that Roo is not a commercial product but it defeats
the purpose of aiming to be easy to maintain and install if you have to
check everything yourself to get it working correctly. Personally i
think it might be wise to clean up the Basic Documentation to the
Fundamentals first before designing a neat HTML-Interface that at the
end of the day is just an editor to honeywall.conf, which is sadly,
very suboptimal.

Best regards,

Stephan Holtwisch