Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Setting up a VM Honeynet on Windows

From: Mark Ryan del Moral Talabis <talabis () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:36:58 +0800

Hi!

Here's a transcript of a VMWare Honeywall installation using Windows
XP / 2000 as it's base OS.

http://www.philippinehoneynet.org/docs/vmware_windows.pdf

Cheers!
Ryan Talabis
Philippine Honeynet Project
http://www.philippinehoneynet.org

8 Nov 2005 00:50:58 -0000, braz0024 () umn edu <braz0024 () umn edu>:
I have read the honeynet book as well as a lot of their materials on the site and other sites, but everything is
either written for a redhat machine running vmware or just points to http://www.honeynet.org.pk/honeywall/ which is
rather uninformative.  After trying things off and on for a week, I hoped someone might be able to shed a little
light on how to set this all up.

My current setup:
A cable modem that runs into a switch, the internal net work is 10.0.0...
There are two machines on the network, a media box and the VM machine.

The VM machine is a windows XP machine running VMware Workstation.

I have installed this and put 3 machines on it - 2 to be honey pots and one to be a honey wall.

At this point I get into problems.  I installed the roo cd onto one of the virual machines, and it wanted to create
subnet on 192..... network. Things would crash and burn until I figured out that I had to turn off the dhcp server.
Perviously once I get the firewall up it would crash my network until I turned it off.

This has been slow going as I am not a network expert but a College student that wanted to learn about Honeynets and
do a project for a class.  The class is now 1/2 over and I am still without a honeynet to experiment with.

If anyone has some good refreneces - esp. with Windows as the base OS that would be great.  I am a bit fried for the
moment and apoliges for the lack of details.  I will try and provide more later, but I will try and answer any
specific questions in the mean time.

Thanks for any help!