Honeypots mailing list archives

deploying honeypots...

From: cyb3rh3b () kecoak or id
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:21:45 +0700

hi,

i've been reading about honeypots technology since a couple of month, but i
never deploy one. It's my final term on college now and i am planning to build
a honeynet with artificial neural network integrated in it system...

first of all...i am trying to build my own honeynet, but there's some problem
appear about it's topology. I am going to use 2 kind of OS as a target behind a
honeywall, it's windows XP and gentoo linux. My question are:

1. should i use full defending system for both OS (especially for windows,
should it patched with new patched or just left it) or just left them as
default
system?

2. I am planning to use data from scan of the month challange as base for the
artificial neural network application and trained it in honeynet network, i
haven't download those data so i don't know yet if the data captured was design
to server area honeynet or personal machine honeynet, so i still have no idea
what kind of honeypot machine especially for windows i should build here,
should i run server or just personal machine?!if it server...then what kind of
service is common to be used in honeynet?

i think just 2 question for now :P, im not speaking english fluently so im
really sory if my speaking here is bad...

warm regards,
Rasyid