Honeypots mailing list archives

Testing honeyd with loopback configuration fails.

From: Spyros Vassilaras <skakistis () yahoo com>
Date: 13 May 2005 22:43:17 -0000

 Hi all,

 I am trying to set up honeyd on a SuSE 9.2 Linux box. With both the precompiled version and a version I compiled
locally, I am getting
the same result: When I try the testing procedure suggested by FAQ "How
do I test Honeyd without a network?" and ping 10.3.0.10, honeyd
responds with several
honeyd[20041]: Sending ICMP Echo Reply: 10.3.0.1 -> 192.168.212.169
messages.
However the ping process does not receive any replies. Any ideas why
this might be happening? I performed the same test successfuly on a PC
with a much older version of Linux and can't figure out what is different
here (besides the Linux version).
Additional info:
Both ping 192.168.212.169 and ping 127.0.0.1 from the SuSE machine
work fine. I also flushed empty all iptables to make sure that they
didn't drop ICMP packets but this didn't solve the problem.
Any ideas on what else might preventing proper operation would be greatly appreciated.

 Thanks in advance,
 Spyros.