Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Is the honeynet able to be applied in a search engineer company or a compus network

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:33:00 -0500

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:33:46 +0100, Thorsten Holz said:
Wang Chao wrote:

Is the honeynet able to be applied in a search engineer company or a compus network? Thanks for your concern!

Just read the paper: "Know Your Enemy: Honeynets in Universities"
(http://honeynet.org/papers/edu/)

Just to add to what Thorsten said...

Whether it can be applied to *your* network depends on what benefits you are
trying to get from building a honeynet.  If you build a honeynet because you have
specific security goals that a honeynet would address, you will likely have a
successful experience.  If, however, you are installing a honeynet without a
clear view of *why* you are doing it ("because it's cool/everybody else is/etc" is
the most NON-clear view ever), you are almost certain to have a poor experience.

(I know I keep saying this, but it needs repeating for the newcomers.. ;)