Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: How do web beacons work?

From: MrDemeanour <mrdemeanour () jackpot uk net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:37:08 +0000

Lance Spitzner wrote:
Okay, what exactly is a web beacon?  Its sounds kinda like a
honeytoken, but I've never heard of the term before.  Now that I did
a google, looks like quite a few are using them to track users.  What
exactly is a 'web beacon' and how does it technically work?

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/beacons/details.html

Thanks!

Same as a webbug - except that webbugs sound like nasty things, and
"beacons" sound like sources of wonderful illumination.

Consequently a website's privacy declaration is much more likely to
refer to the snooping facilities in their site as 'beacons' rather than
'bugs'.

--
Jack.