Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: honeyd win32 not responding to ping

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:03:54 -0500

Common problem on the Windows version.  First, use Ethereal or some
other type of sniffer to verify that the traffic is getting to the host
machine, and to see if Honeyd is responding.

The problem is two fold:
1.  There is a known MAC address problem where Honeyd-Win32 cannot
respond back through a router.  It's porter, Michael Davis is aware of
this and will fix the bug when he gets a few moments to spare from his
real job.

2.  Make sure you have the routing table setup on the host to be able to
route messages back out off the host.  Oftentimes, this takes setting
the default route to something other than the host machine's normal
default gateway.  I've had one or two previous responses to this same
issue last year with the exact ROUTE ADD examples.  Search on the mail
list for this same subject.  If you can't find it, email me back and I
will search on my side, find, and send.

My Honeypots for Windows book should be out within the next month.  It
has three chapters on Honeyd, including all the little bugs and how to
fix them.  But I'll gladly assist you as best I can for free.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Computer Security
Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (NT/2000/2003/MVP), CNE (3/4), A+
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by
O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode
*Author of upcoming Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
****