Honeypots mailing list archives

Kernel & VMware bridging - Whats the difference?

From: Rock Lobster <rocklobster () cheerful com>
Date: 23 Jul 2004 10:04:31 -0000

Lately, I've been attempting to setup a GenII honeypot on my laptop with vmware.

I do have a couple of questions that I can't quite work out though.

When I compiled my host o/s kernel I forgot to enable bridging and TUN/TAP support,  which according to the UML linux
paper I read is required for the brctl package to work.  Now the things is,  because bridging wasnt enabled in my
kernel intially,  why did the vmware guest o/s get an IP from my dhcp server and manage to sit happily on my network
without any problem?

I'm also curious as to why I couldnt just install the brctl package and then have the product of vmnet0 placed into my
iptables rules accordingly?  Why doesnt vmnet0 show up as another network device when I 'ifconfig -a'

Thanks!