Honeypots mailing list archives

Sebek Server and ICMP Host Unreacheable

From: Major Sylvain Leblanc <leblanc-s () rmc ca>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:46:11 -0400

Hello everyone,

I think I may be missing something, please let me know. I installed the Sebek server and Linux client on two VMWare RedHat 9 VMs. Works like a charm! However, when I sniff the network traffic on the client using snort, I can see "ICMP Host Unreachable" packets being generated by the server. Running netstat on the server shows me that no processes are tied to my Sebek destination port, so I presume that the server is "sniffing" the keystroke data right off the interface. I am pretty sure that I could netstat a dummy process to my Sebek destination port so the server will not send "ICMP Host Unreachable" packets. Easy to fix, but this seems to me to be a fairly easy "fingerprint" that shows an attacker that something is not quite right which may give away the Honeypot. Any thoughts?

Sly
--
Professeur adjoint
le major