Honeypots mailing list archives

Simulating web traffic

From: Aitor Facio Valero <honeypot () wanadoo es>
Date: 16 Jun 2004 09:55:59 -0000

Hi, first of all, this is my very first message in securityfocus, but I've been reading several messages from these
lists for a while. Good job done here, that's for sure.

Now, here goes my question:
I want to simulate  web traffic directed to a web server. This web server is not "really active"(i.e. nobody visits its
web pages , but Apache is running), and I want to provide it with the appearance that several and assorted requests are
made to the web server, that is, I want Apache logs to appear as if it is "really active".
I've been thinking a couple of ways to implement this:
-first of all, manipulate the apache log. I'd prefer this to be my last resort, as it's really unclean, and it could
leave traces that Apache log is forged(so I think)
-second IP spoofing: it remains as very challenging for me, even as I've been looking spoofit.h and several examples of
it's use
-third : now I'm thinking if it could be possible to change IP headers at my firewall so I can change Source IP. I
think this could certainly be made, but can not figure how could it exactly be done.

Any help would be useful. Thanks
Aitor Facio Valero