Honeypots mailing list archives

Some production honeypot experience

From: Brad Spencer <brad.madison () tds net>
Date: 15 Jan 2004 22:14:43 -0000

I don't currently run a honeypot, but my first was a standard (but ancient) SMTP client.  That's hard to detect other
than by trying to spam oneself and seeing that the spam doesn't get through (and some work has been done to help
counter that detection technique.)  It's hard to detect because it really is an actual MTA - all the honeypot features
occur after the spammer has conencted and dropped his load.  I stopped running the honeypot about last May and I ran it
in essentially receive-only mode for the last months of its lifetime.  That meant that primarily I just accepted
spammer relay tests.  I did force delivery of a few (and the arrival of the test message hours late didn't put off the
spammers) to see what spam would follow.

A receive-only honeypot is very hard to detect as a honeypot - and some mis-configured servers may look like they are
receive-only honeypots.  If that convinces the spammer to avoid the IP that's good.   My original thought was that the
spammers would discover my honeypot and avoid the IP.  Then I'd move it so they'd do the same again, until they left my
entire subnet alone.  At that point I'd convince the university to run honeypots, so that the spammers would eventually
leave the university IP space alone.  Then I'd expand to .edu, with the same result planned.  Then on to the entire
net.  If discovery by the spammer makes the spammer leave you alone it's not all bad.  Mostly (this began in late 1999
or early 2000) te spammers either didn't notice or just quit.  Every time I thought they'd marked my IP as bad I got a
new wave of spam.

That was an old Vaxstation 4000/90.  It's still running but I retired and I decided I didn't want to lumber the current
administrator with any problems from the honeypot (it's a university system and I still have administrator access to
it.)  Until it went down it was averaging about 4 relay test messages trapped per day.  Most of those were repeat
tests, from the same spammers - probably the spammers just do an endless search of the internet, checking all IPs over
and over again.  Or maybe I was on a hot list of probable open relay IPs - I really can't say why they did what they
did.

I plan to put the Bubblegum proxypot on my system soon (it's dual-boot.)  Until then all I do is consult my software
firewall logs.  I also have a hardware firewall and I allow SMTP and proxy traffic through that specifically so that it
can be logged.  I'm fairly certain 64.223.154.227(pool-64-223-154-227.man.east.verizon.net) is an IP used by a spammer
- I've logged a couple sets of proxy port scans from that IP.  That's why I want to run a proxypot - so that I can
gather hard evidence.

Actually, I ran the Bubblegum proxypot a few hours today, and caught nothing.  I only get proxy scanned about once per
day so I simply quit too soon.