Honeypots mailing list archives

New Honeyd Release

From: Niels Provos <provos () citi umich edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:43:44 -0500

Hi,

I am pleased to announce the release of Honeyd 0.7.

This version comes packed with a whole bunch of new features:

 - Dynamic Templates: Allows the configuration of a host to adapt
   depending on the operating system of the remote host, the time of
   day, the source IP address, etc.

 - Passive Fingerprinting: Identifies the operating system of the
   remote host. This feature can be used for logging and for dynamic
   templates.

 - Tarpit: Slows down the throughput of a connection
   significantly. This feature can be used to exhaust resources of the
   remote host.

 - Link Bandwidth: More realistic simulation of queuing and
   propagation delay for virtual network topologies. If you care about
   this, you know what this means.

 - Python Services: Python support to write service scripts in
   Python. This is an experimental feature to increase the performance
   of Honeyd by executing services internally without forking a new
   process.

You can find more information about this release at

  http://www.honeyd.org/release.php?version=0.7

You can find general information on Honeyd at:

  http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/
  http://www.honeyd.org/

I thank Lance and Laurent for suggestions and feedback.

Niels.