Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Commercial anti-honeypot tool

From: "KeyFocus" <support () keyfocus net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:48:51 -0000

By way of a colleague, I just received word of a tool intended to identify
mail relay honeypots of the sort that some folks are deploying to detect
and harass spammers. I think this is a first: a commercial anti-honeypot
tool.

Great posting!

Its the first anti-honeypot I have come accross and it shows that honeypots
are having an effect.
I downloaded their tool and had a quick play with it. It scans a list of
SOCKS servers and sees if it can use them to get through to a target server.
When I get some more time I want to study exactly what trips its honeypot
detection.

The whole point of send-safe is it uses insecure third-party SOCKS servers
to allow them to contact SMTP servers anonymously.
If SOCKS becomes unreliable, due to honeypots, then this guys will be out of
business.
Sounds like a reason to set some up :-)

You can learn more about the tool at:
<http://www.send-safe.com/honeypot-hunter.php>. However, please be aware
that authors of spam tools are apt to include malware with each download,

- Tom