Honeypots mailing list archives

Has Your Honeypot Been Used to Prosecute Hackers?

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <rogerg () cox net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:58:11 -0400

Besides my current honeypot book project, I'm getting ready to write a fun
piece for an popular national (actually international) magazine...not a
computer mag...on honeypots.

I've got lots of anedotes and honeypot fodder for the article, but I'm
looking for more stories from people who have actually used their honeypot
to either specifically identify the hacker (i.e. you called them up and told
them to stop hacking you) or even more interesting, anybody who has ever
prosecuted a hacker because at least part of the evidence was on your
honeypot.

Which brings up the question, has anyone prosecuted a hacker from a honeypot
since Cliff Stoll's experiment a long time ago?

I want to use your stories to make the article interesting.  I promise to
leave out personal and company names if desired.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, Computer Security Consultant
*CPA, MCSE (NT/2000), CNE (3/4), A+
*email: rogerg () cox net
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode/
*Author of Apress's upcoming Honeypots for Windows