Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Dynamic honeypots question??

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:41:54 -0400

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:05:48 -0000, Kostas K <acezerocool () yahoo com>  said:

Since the honeypot will provide a plug-n-play solution by using passive OS
fingerprinting analysis etc how can we be so sure that during this process the
attacker won't interfere with it, realise that the machine he/she attacks is a
honeypot. Furthemore how feasible would be to build this network while being
offline?

If your attacker can detect that you're using passive OS fingerprinting, which
doesn't send them any packets, you have *bigger* problems. ;)

But let's think this through.  We're making an assumption that the attacker is
*somewhere* on the skill continuum.  Now if they're a script kiddie, they
probably won't even notice *active* fingerprinting.  If they're a clued
attacker, they've learned (hopefully) enough about target selection that your
honeypot won't be visited by them at all, unless it's as a steppingstone
machine to the real target.

Or phrased differently, if the attacker is smart enough to notice fingerprinting,
why did he fall for your honeypot at all?  Why/how did he select it as a target,
and what's his motivation for being there in the first place?

A bigger concern would be "How do *I* know my attacker hasn't jiggered his
TCP stack?" (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/ippersonality/ for an example).

And of course, if you're being hit from another steppingstone, all you will manage
to do is fingerprint the steppingstone.... :)