Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Capturing Windows RPC worms with honeyd or similar?

From: Kostas K <acezerocool () yahoo com>
Date: 28 Sep 2003 22:18:55 -0000

If you like, you could avoid dealing with honeyd and simulations stuff.
Therefore you could build a windows machine either win2000 or winxp, unpatched of course, and use snort to capture the
worm. Even if you do not use snort you will capture it, or if you like it will capture you. Snort will help you
afterwards in the analysis process. However, this depends on the network you operate. If the rest of the machines are
linux, irix etc then you won't face any particular problems. In case you've got winxp or win2000 patch them and secure
them @ports tcp/135, udp/135, udp/69, tcp/4444 mostly and leave the victim unprotected.

Cheers

Kostas

Hi all!

I'd like to set up a honeypot to capture Windows RPC worms and other
Windows-specific stuff. Is there any way to simulate a vulnerable
Windows host using honeyd or some similar software? I mean actually
simulating the buffer overflow. Or do I have to set up a real
Windows box?

Any ready-made configuration files for honeyd?

Thanks!

- Jyri