Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Usefulness of low-interaction honeypots.

From: "John C. Silvia" <john () cadamier com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:44:13 -0700

In addition LIH will not protect your network in the way you want.

Both you and Lance seem to agree to this statement, but it's not true.

I use and deploy LIH honeypots that do supplement the firewall and do
protect the outside of the network.  The ForeScout ActiveScout product does
exactly what I want in a LIH product - it sets up in 30 minutes (OS and
software), it sets it's traps automatically, it identifies intruders by
completing connections with them, it watches for baited data coming back on
other ports, feeds false webpages to attackers, and it creates new false
services on the fly (as new types of scans appear), automatically discovers
existing working network services (so as not to step on them) and it
intergrates with Check Point.  There's not much else I'd want in a LIH
outside my network - is there??

In terms of "tangible results" I'll take some heat there.  Good security
always shows no results other than not being hacked.  I do consider this a
mistaken reference to "auditable results" because that's what you get with
the LIH I'm using.

As for use internally, I will admit that I've not thought of a LIH
internally as a "tinkering detector" before.  Just got to make sure it
doesn't interfere with normal network operations or interpose itself in the
Active Directory domains and such, but I can see it's value - it may not
detect if someone rooted/trojaned a particalur host, but it'll find the them
when they start scanning around.  I can see this finding the "leaky PC"
quite nicely.

As for what it all comes down to, tools is it.  Having the right ones and
knowing how to use them best is what this entire thread is about.