Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeytokens and detection

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremy_f_bennett () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:50:39 -0800 (PST)

In general you should not generate decoy/deception data from real data
by filtering it through any reversible algorithm. Imagine if you added
1 to the 8th digit of all credit card numbers in your DB and then used
those in your honeypot. Of course your honeypot gets hacked, the CC
numbers get stolen and you feel you've learned a lot about the hacker.
Then the algorithm you used (adding 1 to the 8th digit) is leaked. Now
everyone with that 'bogus' CC DB can convert it back to a real DB.

Better to use syntactically valid numbers that are not, and will never
be, working. Remember, our attackers have access to the same web sites
we do. The smart attacker is going to verify the numbers.

-J
--- Brian Hatch <honeypots () ifokr org> wrote:

What would be even better is if the IRS or some credit
card companies could post or distribute such honeytoken
numbers, so we within the security community are certain
we are not implanting valid numbers.

You can easily create bogus credit card numbers, since they
use a check digit to be sure that it's valid.  The first
relevant page I found via google describes the check
digit algorithms, and proper format (prefix/length) of
the numbers for various credit card companies, so generating
a number that looked good should be pretty easy.

However the easiest is probably to just take a hundred
credit card numbers that you already have stored, and add 1
to one of the middle digits at random.  It's guarenteed to
break the check digit algorithm, but other than that it looks
fine, with no need to actually generate them.

--
Brian Hatch                  "In five minutes we're
   Systems and                going to take a nap."

ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature