Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot Newbie

From: Trevor Telford <porntt () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 05:34:13 -0800 (PST)

Well I can recommend one ORIGINAL book that teaches
you the concepts behind honeypot technology:
"Honeypots Tracking Hackers" by Lance Spitzner. Lance
looked at the different roles honeypots can play and
especially to my benefit, the intricates when
deploying 'em  in the wild.

Honeypots don't always have to be big expensive
setups. that's another good thing about the book, it
takes you from the poor man's honeypot right up to
stuff like Mantrap.

Check out the book on amazon or someplace. As I said,
it covers concepts and at the same time teaches you
deployment.

--- "Joseph R. Gruber" <jgruber () tampabay rr com>
wrote:
Hi!

I've heard about honeypots for a long while but
being a broke college
student I don't have much money to have a whole
honeynet setup.  After
reading the Vmware article though I've really become
interested in
setting up my first honeypot.

I'm slightly familiar with Linux but I figured for
my first honeypot I
would set it up using Windows XP with IIS 5
installed.  What I'm looking
for is advice & suggestions on how to monitor & set
this up correctly.
What tools should I be looking at for monitoring the
honeypot from the
host machine?  What about a firewall?  Through my
readings it seems as
if I would want all inbound traffic but outbound
traffic very limited.
I'm not familiar with any Windows firewall that
would allow something
like that.

Any advice, suggestions or tips are greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Joseph Gruber
jgruber () tampabay rr com