Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Strange Browse attempts - Linux SMBD

From: Seth Arnold <sarnold () wirex com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:49:41 -0800

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:07:08PM +1000, Beta3 wrote:
Dec 18 15:23:31 hava1  smbd[4029]:   alevrius_ (200.67.154.176) couldn't find service c

My SMB knowledge is now getting pretty rusty, but what I recall of it,
SMB is offered as several services: IPC, files, and printers. I'm
guessing that what you are seeing is an attempt by someone to access a
service that isn't one of those three. I don't know what it would be
expecting though.

(Another possibility is that an attacker was hoping to find you had
shared your entire C: drive; most MS OSes share every attached local
drive with <letter>$, the $ causing it to be hidden from view by default
in explorer. Maybe your friend just forgot the $.)

--
"In God we trust, all others we monitor."
 -- NSA, Intercept Operators's motto, 1970