Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: spamd on OpenBSD 3.2

From: Adam H.Pendleton <fmonkey () fmonkey net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 03:51:29 -0500

I haven't gotten a change to play with it too much, but the program looks interesting. I would be interested in seeing if someone has quantitatively measured the potential (or actual) impact the program could have on a spammer.

In order to [form a more perfect union] to allow people other than OpenBSD users to enjoy spamd, I have ported it to Linux. It ought, ought I said, ought, to compile on almost all Linuxes, but it has only been tested on RedHat 7.3. The tarball can be obtained from:

ftp://ftp.fmonkey.net/pub/people/fmonkey/code/spamd/

If anyone has problems with the program, please report them to me, NOT the OpenBSD maintainers, as they had nothing to do with this port. If there is sufficient demand, I will also port the spamd-setup.sh script to create ipchain/ipfilter to automatically re-direct known spam IP's to a given spamd port. Currently the script creates rules for ipf, which is OpenBSD-dependent.

ahp