Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: results of the first honeyd challenge (dynamic honeynet?)

From: "Compton, Rich" <RCompton () chartercom com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:09:30 -0600

Reading all of the great entries from the honeyd challenge gave me an idea
for a dynamic honeynet.  The problem that I have implementing a honeypot is
that it takes up IPs.  I have to reconfigure the honeypot as soon as I need
one of those IPs that's assigned on the honeypot. Wouldn't it be nice to
have a honeynet that looks for IPs in a subnet that are not used (maybe by
trying to ping them) and then creates a honeynet for just those IPs.
The honeypot could then see when one of those IPs are being used and remove
it from its configuration.
I'm not sure how it would identify IPs being used when an IP gets statically
assigned (maybe thru arp?) but I've got an idea on how to identify when IPs
are in use in a enviroment with dhcp.  The honeypot could be running snort
and be looking for bootp messages from the dhcp server.  When snort sees a
dhcp offer for a particular IP it could log it and then something like
logwatch could fire off a script to reconfigure honeyd with a modified
config file removing that IP.
In this way, the honeynet could dynamically grow or contract based on the
supply of unused IPs.
Maybe this could also work with the labrea tarpit?

Any thoughts?

-Rich Compton